Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day One - Hancock Tower, Millennium Park, and Other Things

I wasn't even here a full day and I'm already so beat. Blah.

Anyway, for a few hours this journal was in peril because I had remembered to pack everything EXCEPT the cord to connect my camera to my computer! But luckily, during our stroll down Michigan Avenue (which was the first thing we did when I got here) we spotted a Best Buy, which saved the day.

After window shopping along Michigan Ave, we decided to go up to the top of Hancock Tower. We didn't go to the observatory because that costs money (hey, we're cheap), so we went to the restaurant at the top which is free and has the same exact view. Here are some pictures I got from that.

Navy Pier


You can see the Sears Tower there in the back


There wasn't much to do up there except look at the view, so when we had our fill we went back down and walked around a little more. We decided to go to Millennium Park and Crown Fountain since we had some time to kill before dinner. Here are some pictures from walking there.

Obligatory river picture

Newlyweds trekking through the city

DA BEAN!

Obligatory bean reflection photo

In DA VORTEX of DA BEAN!


Thought I would get a little creative in photographing the Bean.

Ok, these people were such bookworms, and we weren't even sure they knew each other. We thought it was so hilarious that they were all reading on a bench together when there were plenty of empty benches nearby. I couldn't resist snapping a stalker picture.

Taking a break from walking before we headed over to the fountain

I said something to make Yuri laugh and snapped this. She'll hate me for putting this up, but I like it!

After we took a little rest, we walked over to the fountain.

I actually don't like this picture very much, but I'm having trouble uploading the very funny video I shot, complete with commentary by Yuri and me. I'll try to upload it again later, though.

Anyway, the whole point of doing all this touristy stuff was to keep ourselves busy until dinner. When the time came, we took a cab to the tapas restaurant for which we had made a reservation. We met up with some friends of Yuri's from law school and had a great time laughing while feasting on tapas and drinking some freaking delicious sangrĂ­a. I remembered to take pictures of the food AFTER we ate it all, so I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of that to share.

After dinner, we went to a frozen kefir place (kinda like frozen yogurt) and then we came back to the hotel. And here I am, struggling with the stupid internet! But I am committed to making this the best travel journal ever!

I apologize if this entry is long and scatterbrained. I've had to write a lot of it in bits and pieces. I'm going to try to find better ways to share pics and video, because I'm really not digging the way blogger does it. At any rate, I'm gonna get some rest. It's a full day tomorrow!

Edit: Here is the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment